Saturday, April 5, 2014

All the World's a Balance Beam


"Give a boy a hammer and everything looks like a nail."
 ~"The Law of the instrument" 


As I’ve given in to my balancing (equilibristic) obsession, suddenly anything and everything looks like a balance challenge. I can’t resist trying out curbs, fences, logs, bicycle racks, and the backrests of benches. 

The worst temptations are handrails. Those narrow mounted pipes meant for people to grip have become instead a favorite training ground. With limited funds, technical rigging expertise, or training facilities, handrails are, in addition to slacklines, the closest thing to a tightrope I have. Plus they’re just so obviously something to balance on….right? 

On the morning of my graduation, my parents had to assemble an hour before I did. We made the walk together, and I had time to kill and a long beautiful handrail just a stone’s throw away from my still vacant assembly point. Of course I had to try…even in a skirt and full regalia. Well, what else was I supposed to do to pass the time? 

So here’s to obsessions that transform how we see the world, how we see everyday objects. If obsession is the parent of perfection, I’m well on my way.


No comments:

Post a Comment