Friday, April 11, 2014

Winter Training Toy


Make your passions part of your everyday life…or part of your decor


With spring underway and the weather improving, I am looking forward to setting up my slackline and enjoying fresh air and sunshine while I balance. Before trading my indoor practice sessions for outdoor ones, I want to take a moment to appreciate how much I’ve accomplished through the winter on my indoor homemade training toy: my practice pipe. 

Last year, knowing that my access to slacklines and handrails would end with the onset of winter’s snows, I built a balance pipe/tightwire simulator--an idea from wirewalker Matthew Wittmer's website--with the help of my father and grandfather:

Conduit pipe, straps, 2x4's,
and conduit connectors.
Modular pieces makes for flexible lengths.  
Mine can be 5 – 20 feet long.
     
Fifteen feet (three sections) live in the spare room of the basement for long training sessions. The final five feet function as permanent décor in my bedroom:

Yes, I traverse the distance between my desk and my closet on my balance pipe, and I willingly admit that I still get a kick out of that fact. It’s definitely quirky but, after all, it is a great way to pack in a few extra seconds of balance training every day. My passion has definitely become part of the landscape of my life...and that's how it should be.

I've learned and improved quite a bit through the winter--reassuring evidence that much can be accomplished even with limited space, simple equipment and through the cumulative effect of even small snatches of practice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment